Diet for psoriasis does not cure the disease. However, a person who does not follow the principles of healthy eating and eats foods that cause allergic dermatitis increases the risk of relapse. This skin disease is incurable, but if the psoriasis patient follows medical advice, is actively treated, and monitors nutrition, it prolongs remissions and, if the disease worsens, facilitates the onset of the attack. Therefore, if psoriasis is diagnosed, you need to know what you can and cannot eat.
General principles of diet for psoriasis
A food schedule that lists allowed and forbidden foods will help you establish a proper diet. If no food is listed in the "soul" column, this group is prohibited in the diet of a person diagnosed with psoriasis.
|Product||Be able||This is forbidden|
|Legumes||Small amounts of soy, lentils, peas|
|Greenery||Lettuce, dill, parsley, dill, lettuce|
|Sour milk||low fat||greasy|
|Canned food||Pickles, marinades, fish, meat|
|cereals||Buckwheat, oatmeal, millet, barley||semolina, rice|
|Dairy products||Reduced fat content|
|Meat||diet meat||Fatty types, lard, smoked products, including sausages|
|Drinks||Mineral water, table water||Coffee, tea, alcohol, freshly squeezed and packaged juices|
|Vegetables||Beets, carrots, cabbage, onions, pumpkins, corn||Paprika, tomato|
|Hazelnuts, seeds||Almonds, pine nuts, pumpkin, flax seeds, sunflower seeds|
|spices||Cumin, garlic||Vinegar, salt, hot spices|
|Fish, seafood||Fresh, lean varieties||Caviar, smoked fish, salted fish, crustaceans, shrimp, mussels, lobsters|
|Sweets||Natural, jelly, marmalade, compote, fruit drink||Honey, chocolate, sugar, confectionery|
|Dried fruits||Plums, prunes, raisins||Sugary fruit|
|Cheese||cottage cheese||Oily varieties with mold|
|Fruit||Apples, pears, melons, watermelons, pineapples, mangoes, kiwis||Citrus fruits, oranges, tangerines, lemons|
|Bakery||Pasta, whole grain bread||Bread, white flour dough|
|exotic||Soy sauce, various sauces|
|Berries||Blueberries, lingonberries, blueberries, cornel, currants||Strawberry Raspberries|
When designing a menu for people with psoriasis, it is useful to consider what you need:
- Avoid legumes. Although beans, lentils, peanuts, soy are rich in zinc and B vitamins, they are normal foods.
- Exclude soy and peanuts, and include vegetable and nut oils rich in polyunsaturated acids. Avoid butter and margarine.
- Greens and salads are good, so the daily diet includes dill, parsley, basil, lettuce, onion. These products are rich in vitamins and minerals, support the body, saturate it with nutrients, strengthen the immune system.
- Choose fermented milk and dairy products, such as cheeses, milk, kefir, cottage cheese, yogurt, low-fat and sugar-free. They contain calcium, which has a beneficial effect on the skin and stops inflammation during psoriasis.
- Avoid canned foods. It contains almost no vitamins, but a lot of spices, salt and vinegar.
- There are buckwheat, barley, millet, oatmeal. Seals and rice (especially peeled, muhallebi) are excluded because they contain a lot of starch, which contributes to weight gain.
- Choose diet meats: chicken, turkey, rabbit, beef and lean lamb. Steam or boil meat dishes. Salo, pork, fatty poultry are contraindicated in psoriasis.
- Drink plenty of fluids, a little carbonated mineral or table water, sugar-free compotes, herbal teas. But avoid freshly squeezed juices that contain a lot of essential oils. Adequate fluid intake protects the health of the skin and all internal organs.
- Avoid vegetables and fruits that cause allergies and dermatitis.
- Do not eat citrus fruits and berries that contain red pigment: raspberries, strawberries, pomegranates. But lingonberries, cornel, blueberries, blueberries, blackberries, currants, on the contrary, should be in the diet of patients with psoriasis. Pineapple, mango, kiwi are useful in remission, and green apples and bananas are best eaten cooked. Melons and pears are used as a separate dish.
- Include fresh nuts and seeds in your diet, such as walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. Avoid species that often cause allergies, such as hazelnuts.
- There are fish - low-fat varieties of white meat, pink salmon, because it is rich in omega acids, but excludes red caviar, seafood and surimi.
- Prefer natural sweets, such as fruit jelly, marmalade, marshmallow. Suitable dried apricots, plums, raisins. However, chocolate, honey, caramel, sweets, cookies are contraindicated for patients with psoriasis.
- Choose bran flour products from bread products, avoid cakes and pasta from the highest grade wheat flour, sugar and fat products.
- Avoid spicy, salty, sour foods and exotic foods such as soy sauce, as they contain a lot of salt and fermented beans.
- Be careful with eggs. Eat hard-boiled chicken, no more than 2 times a week, quail eggs, especially yolks. They are believed to be fighting relapses.
Permitted and useful products
Useful products for psoriasis should be:
- rich in nutrients, vitamins, minerals;
- diet, fat-free;
The list of foods that can be eaten with psoriasis is extensive, and a person with skin disease should organize a daily diet so that the meals are complete and varied. The menu is prepared taking into account that most of the diet (up to 80%) is of plant origin.
For example, fruits with psoriasis can be eaten every day. Exceptions are citrus fruits and canned fruit in syrup. Oranges, lemons, tangerines can cause severe allergic reactions, rashes and recurrence of the disease. Canned food contains a lot of sugar and almost no vitamins. It is better to combine fresh berries and fruits with low-fat yogurt or coarse-grained cottage cheese.
Vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, beets are especially useful. From them, it is easy and quick to prepare salads, where you can add sunflower, cedar, pumpkin seeds.
The list of products that make up the menu of a person with psoriasis definitely includes white fish, lean meats, which are a source of amino acids necessary for the brain and the whole body to maintain immunity.
The permitted list also includes legumes such as soybeans, peas, beans, greens and yellows, lentils and beans. These foods are rich in zinc, which is important for people with psoriasis. However, excessive consumption of legumes overloads the digestive system and aggravates the disease.
What not to eat with psoriasis
Prohibited foods for psoriasis cause inflammation, dermatitis and aggravate the disease. Some of them are allowed to be consumed in moderation in remission.
A person diagnosed with skin pathology should be careful with food, as some are only allowed to be consumed in certain forms. For example, for psoriasis, nuts are best eaten raw, but not fried or salted. Hazelnuts, cashews, and other exotic species are contraindicated because they cause allergies.
When buying a product, always pay attention to its appearance and expiration date. Baked almonds or walnuts, which are expired "smelling" products, are prohibited.
Under no circumstances should you eat canned food with psoriasis. It contains a small amount of food, but a lot of salt, pepper, vinegar and other spices. These products cause allergic reactions, dehydrate the body and irritate the digestive system.
With psoriasis it is strictly forbidden to drink alcohol, carbonated drinks, bottled juices, coffee, strong tea, cocoa.
There should be a nutritional fraction for psoriasis for a woman or a man. A person should eat 4-6 times a day, eat in small portions and chew well.
The optimal time for the last meal is 2 hours before bedtime. This regimen reduces the load on the gastrointestinal tract.
Foods for psoriasis should be varied, but it is not recommended to combine many foods in one bowl.
How to eat properly with psoriasis: sample menu for a week
The menu for psoriasis should be varied, because the body needs vitamins, mineral salts and nutrients. There is no need to overload the intestines by combining as many components as possible in one bowl. For each day, it is better to prepare simple meals by gradually eliminating unhealthy foods from the diet.
Diet in the treatment of psoriasis also depends on the stage and course of the disease. For example, during relapses, they eat salt, sugar, puree without spices, steamed, boiled food. Fruits, especially apples and bananas, are cooked, and "exotics" are discarded.
For breakfast, a person with psoriasis can eat porridge boiled in water (buckwheat, oats, millet, corn). They can be tasted with dried fruits, fresh berries and yogurt. Snack on well-baked apple, banana, oatmeal cookies. You can drink a glass of low-fat kefir or a glass of weak, sugar-free green tea.
Lenten dinner puree consists of vegetable soups and meat or fish dishes. Low-fat boiled lamb, beef, chicken garnish will make a spicy cabbage-carrot salad with fresh vegetables or vegetable oil.
As a dessert, you can eat natural fruit mousses, fresh fruit and berry salads, jelly, marshmallows and low-sugar marshmallows. If the disease is in remission, limited consumption of honey is allowed, and it is better to give up fat at any stage of the disease.
About 80% of the diet for psoriasis patients consists of plant foods, grains, fruits, vegetables and foods based on them. Foods rich in fiber, vitamins and mineral salts support the body's digestive function, strengthen the immune system, prolong remission and greatly facilitate the course of the disease.
Salads for psoriasis are made from fruits or vegetables and seasoned with low-fat natural yogurt or vegetable oil. Never get bored, a simple vegetable salad recipe made from cabbage, beets, carrots is suitable as a snack or side dish.
- A large carrot.
- It's a medium beet.
- White or Peking cabbage, a quarter of a head.
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly under running water with a brush, you can pour boiling water over them.
- Peel the beets and carrots. Remove the upper leaves from the cabbage.
- Grate the root vegetables or cut them into thin strips.
- Chop the cabbage.
- Put in a deep bowl. Season with vegetable oil.
- Crush with a fork to release the juices from the vegetables.
In such a salad you can add fresh herbs, cucumbers and fresh pumpkin. The combination of vegetables and a handful of fresh berries, lingonberries or cornel will suddenly ring, will give the salad a sour taste. A handful of walnuts, sunflower seeds or pumpkin will also be helpful.
Soups with psoriasis are best cooked in vegetable broth. You can eat spicy mushroom and vegetable puree soups with low-fat yogurt. Soups in low-fat kefir are also useful, for example, in the refrigerator.
Mushroom mushroom soup with leeks is suitable for dinner.
- champignons - 500 g;
- a small leek;
- greens, parsley, dill;
- whole grain bread crumbs.
Preparation of mushroom soup:
- Wash all ingredients thoroughly.
- Cut the mushrooms into quarters and the leeks into rings.
- Finely chop the herbs and garlic.
- In a saucepan, cook the mushrooms and onions in a small amount of water until cooked through.
- Add herbs and freshly chopped garlic.
- Wait until the liquid boils.
- Remove from the heat and puree until smooth.
The soup can be tasted with yogurt. Eat with toasted whole grain bread.
For the latter, steamed chicken cutlets or baked fish fillets are suitable.
For cooked fish you will need:
- 400 g of lean fillets, for example, carp, cod, pike, hake;
- a small carrot;
- a light bulb;
- greens, dill, parsley;
- Wash carrots and mushrooms thoroughly.
- Clean the lamp.
- Grate the carrots in a bowl or cut into strips.
- Cut the onion into rings.
- Mushrooms are divided into halves.
- Finely chop the greens.
Pour a little water into a loaf pan and arrange the grated carrots, onions, greens, mushrooms, fish fillets and vegetables again in layers so that the mushrooms are on top. Cover the form with parchment paper or a lid designed for this and place in a preheated oven. Cook for a quarter of an hour.
For sweets, you can eat oatmeal cookies, marshmallows, marshmallows and desserts based on natural fruits, berries, nuts, but without sugar. Examples include raw cakes with dates, almonds, sunflower seeds, and even buckwheat.
Fresh green pea protein omelets are suitable for lunch or breakfast. However, you should not rely on egg dishes. If the disease is in remission, you can eat 2-3 times a week.
You need to be careful with festive meals, because it is not customary to refuse to eat at the party. It is a good idea to allow a relapsing psoriasis patient to move away from the normal menu once a month without abusing forbidden foods. The only things you really need to give up are alcohol, chocolate and coffee.
If the psoriasis patient is waiting for guests, then there will be no problem. The king has hundreds of diets and vegetarian dishes that he is not ashamed to treat himself to.
Varieties of diet
Existing diets for psoriasis are based on different principles. For example, the author of a diet for psoriasis, Dr. Pegano suggested that a key factor in relieving the disease and prolonging remission is a 3-5 day mono-diet and bowel cleansing. The doctor believes that the key to treating psoriasis is the pH balance, so he included alkaline foods that heal the body in the list of allowed foods.
However, people need acids, because if the pH of the environment is optimal, psoriasis does not develop.
Diet D. Pegano
American Dr. According to Pegano's method, the essence of dietary nutrition is to follow the stages of the diet and include certain foods in the daily diet.
Pegano diet consists of fresh vegetables and fruits. However, apples, bananas and melons are considered a separate independent dish. They are used in baked form.
A person with psoriasis starts with a fasting diet and chooses one of them:
- Mono-fruit diet observed for 5 days;
- Sticky apples for 3 days.
In addition, treatment includes:
- Physical therapy exercises for the spine, because Dr. Pegano saw a link between relapses and back problems. The fact is that damaged vertebral discs compress nerve endings and blood vessels, and impaired blood flow leads to psoriatic recurrence.
- Visiting beauty salons, baths and saunas, therapeutic baths. The procedures cleanse the skin and remove toxins from the body.
- Effective stress management from meditation to reading and listening to your favorite music. The lower the stress level, the lower the risk of relapse.
People with psoriasis have a daily diet that includes:
- cereals and bran;
- lean meat and fish;
- skim milk and sour milk products (milk, cottage cheese, buttermilk, yogurt);
- porridge boiled in water;
- bran bread.
Dr. Approximate weekly menu according to Pegano:
- The first day buckwheat porridge for breakfast, for lunch - vegetable soup and fresh vegetable salad, for dinner - baked or boiled fish fillets with lettuce. You can have a snack with fresh and cooked fruit.
- On the second day, you can have a protein omelet with greens for breakfast, lunch with grated broccoli and leek soup, and a chicken fillet boiled with green peas or asparagus for dinner.
- The third day includes kefir or natural yogurt for breakfast, barley with vegetables and mushrooms for dinner, fresh vegetable salad and chicken for dinner.
- On the 4th day, you can eat breakfast with cottage cheese, drink chamomile tea, have lunch with low-fat fish soup, have a snack with grapes or baked apples, and have a vegetable salad.
- The fifth day includes celery salad for breakfast, wholemeal pasta with vegetables for dinner, creamy soup for dinner or cabbage soup with whole grain breads. You can have a snack with any fruit or a handful of nuts / seeds from the allowed list.
- On the sixth day, you can have breakfast with coarse-grained casserole, a snack with low-fat yogurt, and trout with vegetables for lunch.
- Finally, the last 7 days include meals such as carrot salad for breakfast, borsch for lunch, buckwheat with vegetables or barley porridge, or chicken breast.
According to the doctor, a special alkaline diet eliminates the symptoms of psoriasis, which heals the skin and joints and improves immunity. You should avoid carbohydrate and protein foods for a month.
In case of exacerbation of the disease, the doctor advises people to take a sorbent and drink chamomile tea half an hour before meals.
Most of the foods that the doctor includes in the prepared diet are alkaline, the pH level is between 7-14. Fried and smoked foods are contraindicated. A person should eat boiled, lean, cooked food.
Once every 7 days, a doctor recommends that people with psoriasis "empty" their bowels. Every day a person consumes one of the products:
- fermented milk, cottage cheese or kefir;
One day of fasting does not mean a hunger strike, because it is strictly forbidden to tire the body during a psoriatic relapse.
In addition, you will need:
- include lecithin in your daily diet;
- eat 5 meals a day, eat approximately equal calories, or divide the diet into three main meals and two snacks;
- Quit smoking.
There are many plant foods in the diet and reduce protein intake:
- Fruits and vegetables, especially berries (grapes, cherries), nectarines, pineapple, mango and papaya. Before eating, fruits and berries are thoroughly washed and peeled. Used in salads, soups, as a side dish to vegetables, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cucumbers. However, they will be more beneficial when eaten fresh, thermally unprocessed.
- Cereals, wholemeal bread, pasta, buckwheat, durum wheat, unrefined flour.
- Dietary meat and seafood.
- Greens, seeds.
- Eggs and nonfat dairy products.
- Vegetable oils.
- Dried apricots, raisins, plums, dates.
In limited quantities, psoriasis sufferers can eat mushrooms, nuts, honey and grapefruit. For psoriasis, you should drink table or mineral water, herbal teas.
The foods on the menu include the basic foods that a person with a skin problem needs:
- vitamins, minerals;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids;
- zinc, calcium.
For example, you can make dinner with mashed potatoes, fish, vinaigrettes, pasta made from whole grain flour, including soup with vegetable broth - yogurt with cottage cheese or fruit or cereal for breakfast. You should not include porridge and cottage cheese or soup and porridge in a meal, but any meal can include fresh vegetables and fruits. As a dessert, you can prepare a smoothie or fruit salad.
Other tips and tricks
Dietary foods vary depending on which part of the body the psoriasis covers. A person still follows a diet based on the composition of the products and the method of eating, but makes a list of allowed and forbidden foods, taking into account the manifestations of psoriasis.
For example, nutrition for psoriasis of the scalp excludes many spices and onions, garlic, horseradish and mustard. Heavy fried foods, rich pastries, omelets and pasta are also contraindicated.
Foods that have been heat-treated for a long time contain small amounts of vitamins, and breads with added sugar, whole milk, and butter do not contain any fiber that a person with psoriasis needs to stimulate digestive functions.
In case of exacerbation of psoriasis, the diet should be strict, consisting only of boiled, cooked, pureed foods, hypoallergenic vegetables, fruits, berries and grains in water.
In addition, you need to consume minerals and vitamins and make sure that your diet contains as much plant fiber as possible.
Diet to lose weight in psoriasis
Obesity and overweight have a negative impact on the course of psoriasis, as the disease primarily affects the skin folds. In obese people, psoriasis can be more severe and relapses last longer because obesity has a negative effect on the body's cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems. Therefore, if a person is very heavy and feels the manifestations of skin disease, he should lose weight.
The best results can be achieved if you combine a strict diet and moderate physical exercise. You can start exercising after the exacerbation has subsided and the disease has subsided.
Six principles that psoriasis patients should follow to lose weight and improve the course of skin diseases:
- You can't completely eliminate carbohydrates, but you can and should do - fatty foods. The exception is fish that are rich in many unsaturated acids.
- Include anti-inflammatory foods, cereals, flaxseed flour, unrefined vegetable oils, especially extra virgin olive oil, fresh fish, but not smoked or salty foods.
- Exclude foods that stimulate inflammatory processes, such as potatoes, peppers, eggplant.
- Drink enough fluids, water, a little carbonated mineral water.
- Exercise moderately, visit the pool, sauna as soon as the disease enters remission.
- Manage stress. It's a whole science that allows you to control your emotions, and therefore allows you to avoid eating unnecessary foods, sweets, and acids that "help" calm anxious people.
Effective diets for weight loss include any diet prescribed for psoriasis, because they follow three basic principles of healthy eating:
- Eliminate unhealthy foods.
- Enough fluid intake.
- Fractional feeding.
A person with psoriasis should monitor his condition during treatment and independently exclude any foods that aggravate the course of the disease, even if it is on the list of allowed.